Sunday, May 4, 2008

On shitting

This post contains graphic and potentially disturbing personal details. Reader discretion would be wise.

By special request from J-Robb, I will briefly discuss how quitting smoking has affected my bowel movements.

My favorite thing besides smoking is shitting, and I often say that I wouldn't know a quarter as much as I do if it weren't for bathroom reading; I consider myself something of an autodidact, and the toilet is my classroom. So it has been very difficult for me to deal with constipation as a withdrawal symptom. Nicotine is a laxative, so not only was I happier when I was smoking because I was smoking, but I was also happier because I made more frequent and informative trips to the bathroom. Apparently for heavy smokers it takes the body several weeks to adjust to completely normal bowel movements, so until this time I have to apologize for my prolonged, albeit infrequent, trips to the bathroom.

In other news, two major symptoms I have not had:

+ Coughing/mucus. Apparently this starts early and slowly wanes, so I don't think it will be a problem. Although some people have told me they started coughing up black shit two weeks later, so maybe I'll start doing that. I'll keep you posted with photos and videos if appropriate.

+ Increased appetite/weight gain. I have actually had a decreased and I would say much healthier appetite. As a result, I have experienced slight weight loss. Revision: Having spent May 7 - 18 doing intense boozing across several states with such notorious partiers such as Joe Grande, Tyler Allchin, Nick Hoffman, Zach Lau, Jeff Luce and Noah Gammel, this no longer holds true

LESSON: DON'T START SMOKING. It is the greatest feeling on Earth, but if you never start it, you'll never know you'll missing it, and you'll never have to deal with the worst feeling on Earth, the feverish/anxious/depressing/tingly/constipated/angry/tired/achy/insomniac feeling of quitting smoking. The only thing that gets me through it is daydreaming about my steadily improving flow of precious oxygen... I can't wait to use this oxygen for improved mental and physical performance!!!

No comments: