Friday, April 25, 2008

Addressing sickness

Alicia, while I appreciate the spirit of your apology, I am now convinced that my illness is unrelated to yours and Topaz's. Recalling my many spur-of-the-moment, Sunday (or, in cases such as this one, Monday) morning hungover decisions to quit, all have been followed by flu-like symptoms. I've consulted some "quitting smoking" resources to see if my quasi-flu could be related, but it's difficult to tell; most of these resources are shamefully slight on specific information about withdrawal symptoms, I guess because they don' want to discourage people from quitting. But apparently fever and vomiting are not uncommon. Anyway, I feel just about fine right now.

History:

After spending 4:30-7:30 a.m. Wednesday going through five or six vomiting sessions that took me through a reverse chronology of each meal from the previous two days, I spent literally the entire day watching seasons 1 and 2 of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," alternating from feeling somewhat OK enough to walk up and down the stairs, but mostly laying around feeling terrible chills and unable to move or think. Accordingly, some episodes of "Sunny" seemed hilarious, and others seemed intellectually impenetrable.

I got 9.5 uninterrupted hours of sleep last night, and woke up today feeling basically fine except for a really sore neck. I was able to accomplish several things today, including making a trip to The Exchange to buy every Arnold Schwarzenegger movie they had in stock. (I plan to watch every single one in slow motion.) My appetite seemed fine, but I didn't really push it, eating only a can of soup for lunch and crackers and eventually some cheez-its. I felt totally fine. ... Until I decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt to eat a giant Tessaro's burger.

This was not a good idea.

I definitely don't feel like I'm going to puke, and, really, I don't feel sick at all -- even the pain in my neck is gone. However, I seem completely incapable of digesting the burger. I only ate half of it, and I don't feel full. But I had it at least 4 and a half hours ago, and it's just sitting in my stomach. I'm really worried about it, and I'm either feeling or imagining pains in my right arm, and I am therefore unable to fall asleep.

If i could redo today, I would have done it exactly the same, except I wouldn't have eaten dinner and had a great awesome sleep like I did last night instead of potentially having a heart attack.

Anyway:

1) Alicia we did not hear you puke or even notice that you had shown up at all for that matter. Way to vomit discreetly!

2) Thanks for picking up some Sprite Graham, I will hit you back.

3) I'm never smoking again, if only so I never have to quit again.

4) If anyone tries to tell me I'm "not myself if I'm not smoking," I will gouge his or her fucking eyes out.

5)

No comments: